Monday, June 7, 2010

Real life is starting

Today was my first day of official, grown-up work! Emotions are all mixed about it, and it was a crazy busy day - but it's definitely the start of a new adventure that I can't wait to see where it takes me.

I was a regular public-transportation commuter this morning, and I think it's going to take a little adjusting to. My flats, as previously mentioned, are blister makers. So I decided that it would be worthless to wear flats and change into heals at the office. And I really wasn't okay with wearing a pencil shirt with Asic tennis shoes to commute in. But at the T stop when a really nicely dressed girl in a dress was wearing tennis shoes - and then other people with unmatching footwear was on the train with me - I realized it wasn't a big deal and tomorrow am wearing my flip flops for my .5 mile walk from the T stop to my job.

Here is a new interesting thing about living in Boston that is different than Florida: People are both desensitized to outlandish clothing and totally confident in themselves. Tonight, I took a long 3.5 mile walk this afternoon because I wanted to do enjoy the great weather. I walked down to the aforementioned reservoir and circled around. There were so many people out running, both down the sidewalk and around the lake - it was inspiring. All these people are so into enjoying the outdoors. And at that, they don't even care what they look like! There were definitely the strangest people outside exercising and it was so cool that everyone was out there doing it for themselves. I feel like in Florida people are staring and judging you as you work out, and not so much here. I don't feel like people are judging me and all that jazz. Pretty awesome.

Also, I'm way more confident to wear any kind of clothing I feel like because there is always someone more radical that I am. I visited this really sweet vintage shop called Lola's on Saturday with my roommate. I got an awesome necklace, and they had the coolest earrings and original clothing. And you can wear all that on the street and no one looks twice at you. I feel like in Florida if you wore leggings if you weren't going out, you'd get some sort of sideways glance because it wasn't so commonplace. Clothing and attire in general is so different here.

So now onto the more exciting stuff, on Saturday I went to a really awesome event called FIGMENT. Here is a little snapshot from the website that explains it:

FIGMENT is a forum for the creation and display of participatory and interactive art by emerging artists across disciplines. FIGMENT began in July 2007 as a free, one-day participatory arts event on Governors Island in New York Harbor with over 2,600 participants. Since then, FIGMENT has grown significantly each year—in number of projects, duration, participants, volunteers, fundraising capability, exhibitions, locations, overall level of commitment and participation, and public support.





It was really incredible - and I only caught the tail end of it! I have since been friended on Facebook by the New Allston School of Art, and Curatorial Director of FIGMENT and hope to be able to be apart of events in the future. I think it would be an incredible way to meet new people who share a passion for visual/aural art and might be into some of my crazy visions for an art collective.

Saturday I also went to the craziest Farmers Market. I took the train all the way to Haymarket and found the busiest and cheapest selection of fresh produce ever. I didn't remember to bring my camera, however I did snap a picture of all the food I brought home for $11


As I went for my walk tonight, it started to rain slightly. But when I got down to the reservoir, this was my view around the lake:


Here is another view around the other side of the reservoir:


And people at the park:


The low is 60 degrees tonight, I'm hanging out in a hoodie and sweatpants with my windows open. I'm really exhausted though and I have to get up early for day 2 of work. Tomorrow, I'm wearing comfortable shoes for my commute no matter how silly I look in my pencil skirt!


1 comment:

  1. That's awesome. I find it kind of funny that the group you stumbled across is named Figment...all they're missing is Nefarious and it's a perfect fit! Haha. Miss you! Hope you're having a great time. <3

    ReplyDelete