Wednesday, June 2, 2010

The Vision and Arrival

It was 9 months ago that I sat on a porch in JP (Jamaica Plain) with old friends from Florida and new ones from Massachusetts, discussing those ambiguous life topics that pair well with a late night of drinking. After having spent approximately 24 hours exploring the city, including Berklee College of Music, Newbury Street, public transportation, and Jamaica Plain, it was settled. I was going to move to Boston after graduation. Now I sit here in my apartment in Brookline, my first night alone in the city.

I'm starting this blog to share my adventures and experiences here in Boston. I expected drastic life changes, which is part of the reason I moved - but there have already been some surprising discoveries. I headed to the local supermarket this evening (and really started to feel like a resident when I registered for my "frequent shopper discount card") in search of the bare essentials. I made my way over to the sandwich meats and was very surprised to discover that my usual turkey breast which runs about $3 in Florida would cost me $4.59, and there were no comparable products that were cheaper! Yes, this will definitely be a change.

Here is a short list of some of the new things I've encountered that people from Florida (I hesitate to call myself a southerner, hailing from the Florida Keys) are not familiar with:

1. Fire Alarms - okay yes, I know that there are fire alarms in Florida, it's a law, etc. What we don't have are random alarms to pull that are on stands on a sidewalk outside. Yes, outside my building, there is a small structure and the only thing it contains is a fire alarm pull. (Picture to come later)

2. Pedestrian Right of Way - There is a crosswalk over there? Who cares, I can cross here! Oh, there is a DON'T walk signal? That's okay, my vision says if I walk fast enough I won't get hit by these cars. What's that, big car? You want to turn here? Too bad, I'm deciding to cross right now, you'll have to wait. Yes, people slow here for pedestrians, and since there are so many on foot, we might even be the majority.

3. Transportation - besides the obvious (which is that there IS public transportation), getting around Boston is a whole new experience. If you want logical roads, this is not the place for you. There is no "grid" of streets; every path is nonsensically winding and confusing. Having a smart phone (for maps) is essential for my wandering curiosity.

In a nutshell - this is going to be a crazy transition! I'm so excited that I made it. I've told everyone I know, or that I've met the past 9 months that I'm going to move to Boston. And here it is: I did it! I left my family and friends, and moved to a city where I know (essentially) no one. I made trips up here for interviews (and landed a job!), and apartment searched by myself. This is it, I'm living my dream!

No comments:

Post a Comment